Sunday, January 25, 2015

My Love Letter to the Transgender Community.

It was only a few weeks ago when I was informed that we would have a large Transgender group staying at our property, we had a meeting on sensitivity training and the few days that they would stay finally arrived. It was probably the busiest week of my life. The days were long, tiring but at the end of those days I felt so humbled. They were the sweetest people I have ever encountered. I got to know some of them and their souls were just that of good people.
During our sensitivity meeting, one of the heads of the group told us that 40% of trans attempt/commit suicide. That's almost half of the community and the number didn't really mean something to me until this week. I met these wonderful people, people who were born as a gender they don't identify themselves to be. I can't even begin to imagine that. A few weeks ago there was a teen suicide of a young male who felt as female and wanted to transition as such but because of religious values amongst her family, it would never be possible. Throughout these last few days, that just sat in the back of mind. I found myself wondering out of all the people I met, how many had tried to take their own life. I'd like to hope none but that's my wishful thinking.
Today was emotional, I watched friends say goodbye to one another and the sadness that lingered was crushing. I had to think, if it was emotional for me, I couldn't even imagine how emotional it was for all of them.
There were about four individuals that just touched my soul and by meeting them, I know I have become a better person. They just had a profound affect on me.
One woman had killer nails on a few days ago and I complimented her on them. She proceeded to tell me that they were just stick on nails. She smiled and told me she'd bring me some. Not even two hours later, she came back down and gave me some. As I saw her for the last time today as she was leaving, she was dressed back in her 'normal' clothes as a man. I don't know if he dresses in drag or if he is wanting to become a woman but either way, it touched my soul because this person was just one of many who find themselves in the wrong body and this weekend was a chance for them to express themselves.
I think the one that really got to me was this woman who was just so sad to say goodbye to the other girls and everyone else. She said "I hate saying goodbye to friends", I watched as hugs were exchanged in the lobby and it was just one of those things where I found myself overcome with emotion. I am glad this conference exists, I am glad I got to witness people enjoying themselves and being able to express for who they really are.
There is one saying that has always been my guiding point but after this week even more so. "Be kind to everyone you meet because everyone is facing a battle you know nothing about."
I hope I will meet these people again but until then, I hope you live your life in a way that makes you happy because at the end of the day, that is all that matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment